Saturday, December 11, 2004

Holiday Coments

Today my day was great was great, most of which I can’t talk about. So as I said yesterday (or Thursday as it might be now) Let get to my comments on holidays and gifts.

To me, giving gifts on holidays, except for maybe birthdays and anniversaries, is pointless. For those that are religious, then giving gifts makes no sense at all. Let’s see why starting with the JEWS.

Hanukah is a celebration of the victory of the Maccabees and the rededication of the Jerusalem Temple. It also commemorates the miracle of the oil that burned for 8 days. Now, if you can explain why people give gifts here, please tell me, because that has nothing to do with gift giving at all.

X-Mas has a bit better of an explanation, but still not correct. The excuse people that give gifts are that we are celebrating Christ’s birthday. So, shouldn’t we just donate to the Church, because then we are giving gifts to Christ, but that doesn’t work. The 2nc excuse people give is Chris Cringle, a real person that packed money in little red bags, and threw it down the chimneys of the poor. This is the exact idea of Santa, but come on, if you are poor, then you are not the one giving gifts, and if you are rich you are not supost to get them. Also this was during the SUMMER when the fireplace was off. So, this doesn’t even work. The fact is the Church found another way to milk its followers of money, and will continue to do that, as long as you follow.

Being non-religious I still find it pointless. I would have to collect all this money to buy gifts for everyone, just to receive the same amount that I spent back in gifts returned. Can you explain why this makes sense? I would rather just stay were I am money wise then give a bunch of gifts that people don’t want, to receive a bunch of gifts I don’t want, and go into debt because of it.

Of course I am going to give a few gifts this year to close people, only because if I don’t I am looked at as wrong. But, the ideas behind it make no sense.

And please don’t say that it show you care, because it’s a valid point. This is why I am also give gifts, but there are other ways to show you care then spending money. And why do people need to be reassured of a persons care, if the person was just trying to use you, then buying a gift would be the best thing for him, because you view it as he/she cared, but in fact they are just trying to use you. So this is a very exploitable reason, and also doesn’t make sense.

Ah well that’s the holidays for you.

~Georgyo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home